Finance

Donald Trump asks Turkey for audio-video evidence in Jamal Khashoggi case

Donald Trump asks Turkey for audio-video evidence in Jamal Khashoggi case

On Monday, a joint Turkish-Saudi working group on this case held its first meeting in the Istanbul police department, after which the members of the working group from Saudi Arabia entered the consulate.

Despite the steady trickle of horrific details from the Turkish government, American leaders, including Pompeo, seem content with leaving the investigation in the Saudis' - the alleged killers' - hands.

Turkish officials reportedly hope on Wednesday to enter the Saudi consul's residence as part of their probe into the journalist's disappearance.

On October 16, Pompeo held meetings in Saudi Arabia with King Salman and Crown Prince Muhammad, who was one of the main targets of Khashoggi's criticism.

US President Donald Trump said Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman denied having any knowledge of what happened to the Washington Post contributor.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday refused to blame key U.S. ally Saudi Arabia over the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi even as Riyadh faced new claims he was killed and tortured inside its Istanbul consulate.

According to the reports, the assassination squad included agents tied to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, a powerful figure in the Saudi royal family and lynchpin in the trend toward ever-tightening relations with the White House.

A high-level Turkish official previously told The Associated Press that police found "certain evidence" of Khashoggi's slaying at the consulate, without elaborating.

In an editorial headlined "Why is the Trump administration cleaning up Saudi Arabia's mess?" the paper backed calls by United Nations officials for an independent global commission into the disappearance of the journalist earlier this month, which has tarnished the image of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The US leader made the comments as Turkish police searched the residence of the Saudi consul-general in Istanbul, 2 kilometres from the Saudi consulate where Khashoggi was last seen on October 2.

Saudi Arabia has denied killing him and initially said he left the building "unharmed".

The newspaper said Saudi Consul General Mohammed al Otaibi could be heard on the tape, telling those allegedly torturing Khashoggi: "Do this outside; you're going to get me in trouble".

According to the report, Khashoggi dying screams could be heard before he was "injected with an unknown drug" and later fell silent.

While the Turkish officials claim that the journalist was killed by a special team of 15 Saudi officials, the Saudi authorities maintain that Khashoggi left the consulate the same afternoon.

The High Commissioner noted that Saudi Arabia and Turkey were both party to the "UN Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment".

He said: "You know we need Saudi Arabia in terms of our fight against all of the terrorism, everything that's happening in Iran and other places".

"I emphasised the importance of conducting a thorough, transparent, and timely investigation, and the Saudi leadership pledged to deliver precisely on that", he said.

But he refused to be drawn on whether Khashoggi was alive or dead and who could be responsible.

Two sources familiar with the investigation confirmed to CNN that the 15 men listed by Sabah were of interest in the ongoing criminal investigation launched by Turkish prosecutors.