Sports

Red Bull deny approach to Alonso for 2019

Red Bull deny approach to Alonso for 2019

Abiteboul also insisted Renault's decision to hire Ricciardo was not motivated by trying to put one over on Red Bull and that there was no last minute push to persuade the Australian to move.

Red Bull announced on Monday that Pierre Gasly will partner Max Verstappen for the 2019 season, the Frenchman joining them from junior team Toro Rosso.

Horner responded at a news conference at the Belgian Grand Prix on Friday.

Never one to dwell too long, however, Horner now looked forward to the prospect of welcoming Pierre Gasly to the senior team at the beginning of next season.

However, that did not happen, with Horner continuing: "He drove the auto on Tuesday in the test in Hungary, and then I think the flight to America on holiday he decided actually he wanted, despite having everything that he'd asked for, that it still didn't feel right and that he wanted to do something else". "In F1 you are always in competition for something - for an engineer, for a sponsor, for a position in the championship, for drivers, for many other things".

Why did Alonso turn down Red Bull? It turned a bit of spotlight onto me and so I took my time with it.

"In Hungary, he told (Red Bull owner) Mr (Dietrich) Mateschitz and me that he was OK with everything and that he was going to sign during the test on Tuesday".

"It's only his second season so he lacks experience", Dr Helmut Marko told Servus TV. "I don't want go back and forth with this - I have better things to do".

"The fact that I didn't end with a Red Bull seat does not mean that it will never happen. I didn't really know what I was saying to my mates, so I jumped in the pool and celebrated with my mates and family".

Ricciardo said he had still been unsure during the Hungarian race weekend at the end of July but made up his mind during the following days. Personally I felt it was good for me to have a fresh start somewhere else, I think it will be healthy.

Ricciardo made his final decision during a 10 hour flight across the Atlantic to Los Angeles.

"Right now, I am thinking it is goodbye", he said.

"I guess I got to a point where I felt I was ready for a change", he said.

Daniel Ricciardo may have signed for a better payday.

Ferrari had been planning before the sudden death of former president Sergio Marchionne last month to promote Monegasque Charles Leclerc from Sauber, but the new management is said to have had a rethink. It's obviously been fantastic and great and I just felt like now it's time to take on something new.

"There were a lot of emotions as well and I was just so shocked. We are adults.' Then he said: 'I'm going to Renault'".

The Spaniard's comments appeared to be at odds with Red Bull boss Christian Horner, who suggested after Ricciardo's decision that Alonso was not under consideration.