Teenager accused of bombing London subway previous year on trial

Teenager accused of bombing London subway previous year on trial

Some 93 passengers scrambled to get off the District Line train after a wall of flames engulfed their carriage during rush hour on September 15 previous year, with witnesses describing a fireball melting clothes, singeing hair, and causing awful burns.

The device he allegedly created contained Isis' signature explosive TATP [triacetone triperoxide] and 2.2kg of sockets, screws, bolts, nails, knives, screwdrivers and other shrapnel aimed to cause "maximum harm and carnage".

He has denied charges of attempted murder and causing an explosion likely to endanger life.

She said: "Had the device fully detonated it is inevitable that serious injury and significant damage would have been caused within the carriage".

Hassan claimed asylum when he arrived in Britain on the back of a truck travelling through the Channel Tunnel from France, saying he was in fear of Islamic State.

The asylum seeker, who entered the country illegally in October 2015 in the back of a lorry, claiming to be 16, is on trial for the attack on the Parsons Green tube train when a bucket bomb partially exploded, injuring 3o.

The teenager denied he had come to Europe on their behalf and said militants "forced" him to go with them as they advanced through Iraq and threatened to kill his family if he refused.

Aimee Colville, who got on the train at Parsons Green moments before the explosion, said she saw a "wall of glass" coming towards her.

Jurors were told that while in the care of Barnados, a member of staff who spoke Arabic caught him listening to a "call to arms" song with lyrics along the lines of: "We are coming with you to the your home/country".

A London evening newspaper poster outside Paddington tube station in London, after a terrorist incident was declared at Parsons Green in September.

On September 15, the defendant left his home shortly before 7am and took the train from Sunbury to Wimbledon, walking by schoolchildren and commuters carrying his bomb, jurors heard. Jurors were told the batteries could have been used for the bomb timer. He could have stopped the detonation.

The court was told that Hassan "intended this to be a lethal attack".

"The CCTV footage from inside the carriage shows that at no stage did the defendant reach inside the bag to do anything".

Jurors heard details of the injuries suffered by people on the train, which included burns to their faces and bodies.

Passenger Jelena Semenjuk described "a massive bang" followed by shards of glass flying through the air and then flames.

An expert concluded there were several reasons why the bomb only partially exploded.

The main charge may have failed to explode because the initiator was not sufficiently embedded in the TATP, or because the TATP had been poorly made, the court has heard.

One woman said she could smell herself burning and could see that her hair was on fire.

Mr Hassan was arrested at the port of Dover the day after the explosion.

The jury was told that the ingredients for the device were bought on Amazon.