High School Shooting in Kentucky Kills Two, Injures Over a Dozen More

High School Shooting in Kentucky Kills Two, Injures Over a Dozen More

Authorities identified the slain victims as Bailey Holt and Preston Cope, both 15 years old. Police say five of the shooting victims are still in critical condition as of Tuesday night.

A female student was shot dead at the scene while another male student died in hospital, said the governor.

This is the second shooting at a United States high school in the last 24 hours.

The 15-year-old shooter attended the school, Bevin said Tuesday during a press conference.

The shooting occurred around 8 a.m. local time.

A 16-year-old male suspect was apprehended, but no motive has been provided for that shooting either, leaving two communities reeling from violence and looking for answers. "Everybody at that high school reacted appropriately".

"We in law enforcement will do our job and do it well, and we will pray for the families that are affected by this today", Sanders said. The identities of the dead students have not been released.

"This morning's senseless and evil attack in Marshall County is news that horrifies us all". And teachers were grabbing kids up and helping them get into safe places.

Sanders said students had recently undergone training in how to respond to active shooters in their school hallways.

"Initially she didn't know what it was, but then she realized it was a gun and all of the other students realized what it was, and they all just got out of the building as quickly as they could".

It's shocking because you never think it's going to happen here.

"This is a tremendous tragedy and speaks to the heartbreak present in our communities", the statement said. In 1997, a 14-year-old killed three people and injured five more during a prayer circle at Heath High School, located 35 miles away from Benton in the town of West Paducah.

Witness Mitchell Garland told the Associated Press he rushed out of his nearby business when he heard about the shooting and saw students running for safety.

Jeff Edwards, the county attorney, toured the school after the shooting and described evidence of the chaos that unfolded as students arrived at school.